Psychedelic Assisted Therapy

Started by Kizzie, July 25, 2022, 03:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollyvee

I read a lot of anecdotes on r/microdosing before starting as well as some of the scientific studies etc. While sometimes they're good to take with a grain of salt, I also find it quite helpful to read peoples' experiences. You might be able to find some more information on someone in a similar situation to you as well on there.

NarcKiddo

I watched an episode of The Blacklist last night where a major character goes to see a therapist for a psychedelic infusion. The main point of the episode was to take us inside his head and see the "trip" he took. I thought that was reasonably well done in that he had a confrontation with someone who was obviously his inner critic. And a few other things. But I just wondered about the practicalities - if anyone who has had an infusion in a therapeutic setting is willing to respond. In the show the character lay on a bed under a blanket and the infusion was delivered via drip. What struck me as odd was that although the therapist was there with him the whole time (we are led to suppose, it is not shown) we were left with the impression that he went to sleep and had a dream. I thought these infusions were much more waking type experiences and the therapist is there to talk you through the experience if you need them to.

GoSlash27

All,
 My son has recently suggested that I try small doses of psylocybin in conjunction with therapy; that he would provide it and support me personally during the 'trip'.

Due to certain "triggering childhood incidents", I have always been averse to any medications, *especially* mind- altering narcotics.

The consensus seems to be that this can be beneficial, so I've given him permission to try it, with the caveat that I may change my mind and if I do "no means no".

Best,
-Slashy

Armee

I've considered it but haven't tried it. Do you have a therapist? Do you know the therapeutic dose? I don't know a lot but what I have been told is that the dose people take to "trip" is much higher than what is helpful for therapeutic use. The other question I have is: does it feel safe for you to experience traumatic memories or other disturbing things in the presence of your son? Is there a therapist you can seek support from before, during, or after? This may be just purely helpful or it might open a can of worms. I'd want to have help lined up to process these things, myself. My understanding is that at least what the clinical trials are saying and recommending are that the drugs alone aren't therapeutic...they call it drug-assisted psychotherapy, not drug therapy. Anyway lots to consider especially since ypu have some reservations from childhood experiences. Take your time deciding and researching for yourself. There's no rush.

GoSlash27

Armee,
 Thank you, and yes... I have a lot of things to research and sort out before that time comes. It will be some time before it will be available anyway.

Best,
-Slashy