Night terrors and lucid dreaming (for Hope67)

Started by GoSlash27, April 25, 2024, 06:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoSlash27

All,
 This is how I discovered how to turn night terrors to my advantage.

I had a spate of night terrors a few years ago. They were so bad that I was losing enough sleep for it to be a problem. So in my typical nerd fashion I began to analyze what was going on. The sleep paralysis was totally normal. It's just how my body protects itself from injury while in REM sleep. What I was 'hearing' was just an auditory hallucination. This gave rise to visual hallucinations, all of which were scaring me.

The problem was that my conscious mind was still active at a point where it was not supposed to be. Once I convinced myself that it was safe to fall asleep instead of trying to fight my way to wakefulness, I did.

I felt a falling sensation and immediately 'woke up' in my own bed. The first question that came to mind was 'am I really awake right now, or is this a dream?'. Stepping into the hallway immediately answered that question. This was not my house. I was dreaming. I was fully conscious of the fact that I was dreaming.

It did not occur to me at that point that I had 100% control over the dream itself, but I remember every moment of that dream as fully as any waking moment.

This was fascinating to me! So I resolved to try it again, and it worked that time too. That dream I actually controlled, which was amazing! I could change any aspect of the dream I wished, I could fly, whatever.

I soon came to welcome the night terrors (later the precursor hallucinations themselves) as my gateway to lucid dreams. I developed habits to establish whether I was dreaming or not. Look out the window to check the scenery. step out of the bedroom and look around. Read a book and see if the text changes.

That 'changing text' method amused me so much once that I kept reading the changing text just to see what it would say next. It said 'please stop doing that'.  ;D  There was an intelligence on the other side of the changing text. I soon found out that I could communicate *directly* with my own subconscious through asking questions and reading the responses in the text.

I have not developed the ability to lucid dream at will and haven't had many night terrors lately. But now I look forward to them. I plan on putting that direct communication with my own subconscious to use as I work my way through this.

So this is my good news for anyone who has trouble with night terrors. For me they are the gateway to lucid dreams and I bet they are for you as well.

Best,
-Slashy 

Hope67

Hi Slashy,
Thank you so much for writing about your experiences with night terrors, and the link with lucid dreaming.  I think it is really relevant to what I've been experiencing myself, and also very thought-provoking (in a helpful way).  I appreciate you taking the time to write about it, and I hope that others will find it helpful as well.

I looked online for some more information, and there is mention of using Lucid Dreaming Therapy to help with night terrors. 

But what I particularly found helpful - was you sharing your experience and knowing that it's similar to my own - it's validating to experience that. 

I do remember previously how scared I had been by the hallucinations part of it - but I read that it's along a continuum with dissociative experiences, and I get those in the daytime (dissociation) - so having it at night, with hallucinations does make sense.  Interestingly, one of my more recent experiences, was seeing a green heart-shaped balloon in the bedroom, which was actually a pleasant thing.  So it's not all been bad.

Anyway, thank you!  I hope you'll share more of your experiences, if you want to.  I love the idea of a Gateway to Lucid Dreaming - it's such a positive reframing of something previously scary!

Hope  :)