Introduction

Started by bpl53, November 30, 2015, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpl53

My partner of two+ years has just confirmed many of my guesses and experiences by telling me he's been diagnosed as borderline and traumatized with severe emotional dysregulation. This explains so many of our interactions in a different way, including my recent feelings of low self worth.

Seeing words to explain his situation and potential impacts on me, and having experienced those, is validating.

I now feel I have more tools and understanding in order to avoid over-reacting to his anger or hurt. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

BTW: he's a licensed clinical social worker and has been in private practice for 40 years but has avoided getting into therapy himself out of embarrassment of the label of his diagnosis (he just told me that today).

Dyess

Well at least he was honest with you and you now know what you are working with. I wish the best for you both.

Dutch Uncle

Hi bpl53  :wave: and welcome to the community.  :hug:

It must be tough to have heard about your partner's diagnosis and getting your guesses confirmed.
Perhaps a bit of a relief as well, but still distressing I suppose.

I hope and wish this site and community will give you some support in dealing with it.
Most of the content of the site is geared towards our own struggles with the stress that comes with living, or having lived, with partners and/or parents or other relationships/situations that have been distressing or even traumatic.
Perhaps you can relate to some or much what is being shared in that respect.

Then there is a section When Someone in Your Life has CPTSD where people share their experiences on how their life is affected by a partner with cPTSD. You don't specifically mention cPTSD as a diagnosis for your partner, but I guess "severe emotional dysregulation" might be related.

Have a look around.
I hope you'll feel this site a free and safe place to share, if you wish so.

:hug:
Dutch Uncle

bpl53

Thanks for the feedback. I am anticipating great help on these pages.