Any ideas how to find or start interactive CPTSD support group?

Started by Chris336, January 23, 2020, 06:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on April 14, 2020, 04:46:40 PM
If I were to join a VC group I would want it to be like Chris described where there are solid guidelines to keep participants focused and set a considerate, respectful tone. Otherwise, as Chris wrote: "A free-for-all interactive chat room is too chaotic, and gets over-run by those who can shout the loudest." 

It would also take a good moderator/facilitator IMO.
:yeahthat:

Quote from: Kizzie on April 14, 2020, 04:46:40 PM
The F2F group I tried a month or so ago had a covert N spouting religious/AA recovery principles and dominating the entire meeting with all that he had read and thought about trauma. I lasted until the break, then left. 

Slightly OT from me, but I remember reading this in one of your posts, Kizzie, and now I finally want to respond. I'm so sorry you met up with this result, how disappointing and maddening but  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: on rescuing yourself from that group and its defacto leader and not even staying till the end! Speaks for your strength, courage and healing :) :hug:

marta1234

Thank you Chris and Kizzie for the clarifications, and thank you Chris for the various links to the groups. Hope the group idea works out  :)

Jazzy

I realize this post is a bit older "at least 120 days" as the warning says, but it's something I've been thinking about this year. I've really wanted to help others with CPTSD, and I think an interactive voice/video/in person group is one option to do that. Of course, it is not for everyone. I've skimmed all of the replies here, and I appreciate everyone's input. I plan to come back here and re-read everything in more detail, especially the concerns that people have put forward.

With that said, does anyone know if there has been progress on this already? I don't want to waste my time organizing something (which is outside of my comfort zone anyway) if its already up and running.

If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to advertise such a group? Obviously, I'm not at the point of needing it yet, but I like to be prepared. Advertising is something I've always struggled with (no surprise with ICr and everything else), so I'd appreciate any ideas.