Hello all

Started by JusticeBeaver, November 29, 2016, 07:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JusticeBeaver

I have c-PTSD as a result of a growing up with an uPD mother. I registered on OOTF with the same username, and recently posted an account of my experience, so I won't rehash that here. I am just thankful to find this forum, as this is the first I have seen like it - specifically for c-PTSD.

I have been NC from my abuser for almost a year, and am in therapy at the moment. Things have improved a great deal for me in the past couple months, but I am still experiencing symptoms, the main ones being emotional flashbacks, a very loud inner critic, and chronic people pleasing (an inability to ask for what I want, or say no).  I am a Fawn/Freeze type, according to my research.

After researching treatment options for ACoN's, I chose to enroll myself into a DBT program, because the main issues that I want to work on - interpersonal effectiveness,  and emotional regulation - are covered in the framework. DBT has been recognized as an effective treatment for PTSD, eating disorders - though it was designed specifically for BPD. The main issue that I have with it, is that everyone else in my group is either BPD or NPD, and their behaviors are triggering to me. I find that I am having an easier time complying with the homework and structure than others in the group, and though the group aspect is designed to be a support system, I find little support to be found. I have made a commitment to see it through no matter how uncomfortable I feel, and that has been helpful in managing my flashbacks.

I look forward to reading everyone's experiences, thoughts, struggles and most importantly - healing together.  :cheer:

mourningdove

Welcome, JusticeBeaver! :)

Sorry to hear that you aren't able to get much support from your DBT class, but it's really commendable that you are committed to learning the skills!  :thumbup:

Three Roses

Welcome, JusticeBeaver! I'm happy you're here. Thanks for joining! :wave:

sanmagic7

so glad you're here.  i hope you can find what you're looking for.  i've found such kind, caring, encouraging people on this forum, i don't think i'd have gotten this far without them.  best to you!

Jdog

Best wishes and a warm welcome to you!

JusticeBeaver

Thank you all for the warm welcome!