Hello, I am new

Started by Thumper, June 10, 2016, 07:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumper

Hi.
I wanted to introduce myself.  I am a 52, no contact daughter of a Narc mom who had five kids.  I have been NC for about two years.  My husband who is a retired combat vet has PTSD.  After he returned from his last tour, our kids started growing up and I stopped allowing myself to be walked over things have been challenging, to put it mildly.  I just ordered  Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving after finding this site and lurking a bit.  I have a feeling I will be need some support. 
Any takers, or suggestion from a solid trail guide?   :cheer: :heythere:

Thanks, Thumper

mourningdove

Hi Thumper!  :wave:

Good for you for not allowing yourself to be walked over! The only suggestion I have at the moment would be to take your time with the book. Many people find it overwhelming if read too quickly - which is often a temptation, because it is so spot-on for a lot of people.

Welcome!  :hug:

Three Roses

Hello and welcome! Dove is right; take your time with that book. I've ordered the workbook as well. I'll let you know if it's worth the extra few dollars. :)

Kizzie

Hi Thumper and welcome to OOTS. :heythere:   Lots of members have the book so perhaps I can make  an announcement that you are interested in going through it together and then if there are takers I can open a sub forum in the Book Club forum.  What do you think ? 

Kizzie

Hi Three Roses - what workbook are you referring to? 

Three Roses

There is an accompanying workbook to "Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving". I'm almost done with reading his book and now am waiting for the workbook to get here. Really hoping it helps me, I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here. :)

Kizzie

Well now that's good news, I had no idea. How did I miss it lol?   :doh:

Anyway, yes please do let us know what you think when you get it, that would be quite helpful tks.  :thumbup:

woodsgnome

Three Roses wrote: "There is an accompanying workbook to "Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving".

As per Kizzie, I was also a bit surprised to find there was a workbook out, so I checked around. Are you by chance referring to his other book "The Tao of Fully Feeling", which is described as "a  handbook for increasing your emotional intelligence"? Or perhaps you're referring to this one from a web 'workbook' with a similar name (but not authored by Walker) put out by California's Morris Center?: 

http://www.ascasupport.org/_downloads/survivor_to_thriver.pdf

This workbook once had a study group formed around it on this forum in 2014-15 in which several OOTS members took part. Some reactions to it can be accessed via the 'search' function, I believe.

Either way, hope you keep others here posted. There also has been a couple of threads discussing the Walker book; again these should be accessible by the 'search' function.

Thumper--good to see you here; hope the information here fits into your recovery journey as you develop and build up your own survivors toolbox. As you've perhaps noted, there's a huge amount of material here.

As a personal aside, I've been fortunate to become part of a spontaneous 'book club' of my own. My therapist has read Walker's complex ptsd book and we are working with parts of it during our sessions. I also found the book, as Kizzie noted, a tad "overwhelming but spot-on" during my initial reading of it. So now my therapist adds her own take and it reinforces so much that I did miss (or avoided) the first time around. The book is just one portion of our overall work together, but it's a wonderful part of it.

Three Roses

sorry - been in a fog lately - dissociating all over the place and having trouble concentrating & communicating clearly. the workbook is not by pete walker. it was recommended to me by a friend as an accompaniment to mr walker's book. to be honest i didnt even notice it wasnt by walker.

the book i've ordered: https://www.amazon.com/PTSD-Workbook-Effective-Techniques-Overcoming/dp/1572242825/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465681499&sr=1-3&keywords=the+ptsd+workbook

it has not arrived yet so i'll let you know what it's like.

Thumper

Hi! 
Thanks for moving the Pete Walker Book to where it belongs.  There is a ton of information and I am not that experienced with an online forum especially for a book club.  If someone has some suggestions I am glad to have them.  I hope people feel free to jump in and comment.  I hope I can find whatever it is that I am looking to find.  Open hear tna open mind!
Thumper

Thumper

One question...I clicked on notification and don't see that I got notification of replies.  Where should I look as my messages are empty...
Thumper

Three Roses

I click on the "Recent Unread Topics" links to find resonates to threads in following. ;)