Started by SnapOutOfIt, April 18, 2016, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnapOutOfIt

I'd like to introduce myself, I was diagnosed with CPTSD a few years ago. I was raised in a very strict and isolated religious cult. My parents were fresh out of high school when they joined the group. They got married in there and had seven kids. We didn't go to school, watched TV, read books, interact with people outside the group and hardly had any exposed to the outside world until my parents finally decided to leave when I was 15. It was a major cultural shock for my siblings and I.
I was very naive and I was drugged and raped by two cops when I was 17. My life spiraled out of control after that incident. I went through several other traumatic incidents and a few short-term abusive relationships before I accidentally got pregnant at 19.
I hadn't known the guy long and we weren't dating but he was 30 and really wanted me to keep the baby. He was very abusive but I thought staying with him was the right thing to do for my child. I came close to dying many times and tried to leave him multiple times. It was a nightmare and took years and a long legal process to completely get out of the relationship.
I struggle with symptoms of C-PTSD every day.  I have issues with dissociation, isolation, trust and most of all anxiety, the anxiety is debilitating. I want to snap out of it and live a normal happy life but I'm stuck in survival mode.

Jdog

It sounds like you are finally emerging from quite a difficult series of incidents.  Sorry you had to endure those things - you didn't sign up for that and didn't deserve the treatment you described receiving.

I'm glad you have found our forum.  Please look around the site and chime in whenever something strikes you as relievant or important.  There are lots of helpful resources posted in various sections also.

A warm welcome to you!

Kizzie

Another warm welcome to you SnapOutofIt , glad you found your way here :heythere:

I can only imagine that you struggle with CPTSD daily, you have been through so much  :hug:  I just wanted to mention that there is a forum here regarding religious/cult abuse and trauma if you haven't seen it already.  There's also a forum here regarding marriage/divorce.

As JDog suggested, please feel free to post whenever and wherever you feel comfortable   :hug: