Spirituality

Started by Calex Deeply, March 29, 2017, 12:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calex Deeply

I am new here. Very deeply into the spiritual side of growing in my recovery, I was recently looking into a book called "A Religion of Ones Own: A Guide to Creating A Personal Spirituality in a Secular World"  by Thomas Moore. There are several videos about it on line. It's a place to begin. I too have no tolerance for being told what to believe, in fact that can be very DISEMPOWERING and triggering to me. So I try my best not to be what I find uncomfortable. I would love to also discuss some interesting spiritual "places" I've been led that have given me a new frame of thought. (Good to finally be here).

Three Roses

Welcome, Calex Deeply! It's good to have you here, thanks for joining!

Hazy111

I can be a cynic when it comes to organised religion . I was brought up in a Catholic household, but i rejected its core beliefs and restrictive dogmas in my teenage years when i first became aware of my problems. God wasnt helping me though i pleaded for help.

I have had a healthy distrust  of all religions traditional or new. I thought its all mind control , you arent free and youre in denial. You must use therapy of sorts to uncover your pain and trauma.

But seeing my T (hes embraced everything going in his own quest and recovery, from Buddhism to Taoism and all points in between) ive learnt that to recover also requires an opening up of the mind to new influences, which you can keep or disregard as you please from wherever they may come.

This isnt an advert by any means, but recently i have started attending my local Quaker meeting. I knew little about them. But i think its connected to a spirituality of sorts. 

I thought you people are in denial, God or whatever isnt the answer its just a crutch, wake up and confront your pain.

But I was amazed at the complete lack of formality , no priest, no set service or orthodoxy that has to be followed, which really appealed to me. You dont have to believe in God either, though some obviously  do.

Just sitting in silence for an hour, contemplating, thinking, praying whatever.. If you want to stand and speak, you can. Thats it. No rituals to be followed. You are not told what to believe. Theres no pressure to join, you come and go as you please. Some are active and are members, others are just attenders.

I soon got to know the people attending and id say most were originally from other Christian  faiths and some were from non Christian backgrounds too.

Another thing that resonated was that there were many troubled traumatized souls attending that were also in therapy or had therapy and some were taking medication for mental issues. A lot seemed to being doing Yoga too? Not gone there yet.

I think it was helping them to recover from their own trauma. It gave them some peace of mind i guess. It was just another tool in the bag .

Has it  given me a form of spirituality, if that what it is, im not sure, but  i am beginning to connect with people. I am not alone, I am part of something bigger and not stuck in my self absorbed bubble. Is it  part of the healing process that i would have easily scoffed at. Its not doing me any harm anyway.

sanmagic7

welcome, calex

i, too, am not a proponent of organized religion for myself, altho i can understand how it can bring comfort, etc., to others.  it just didn't work that way for me, so i made my own way to discover a spirituality that fit for me.  i dipped a toe into a lot of other spiritual agendas from different tribes, peoples, etc., but since i wasn't one of them i soon realized i didn't have the same affinity/history for their perspectives.

so, i've found my own and am happy with it.  i think it's great, hazy, that you found a group of people with whom you can relate.   it is a special kind of feeling to 'belong'.  to my mind, this is all so personal - what works for one might not work for another and vice versa.  i do think spirituality is an important component of recovery, tho.  just my opinion. 

Candid

:heythere:, Calex Deeply!

QuoteI try my best not to be what I find uncomfortable.

No indeed. Whatever God you install, make sure it's one that loves you unconditionally and is always on your side.

QuoteI would love to also discuss some interesting spiritual "places" I've been led that have given me a new frame of thought.

You might enjoy Derren Brown's Fear and Faith. Hope you can get this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16l19q_derren-brown-fear-and-faith-episode-2_tech wherever in the world you are. He makes a good case for humans being hard-wired to believe in Something bigger than ourselves. 

Quote(Good to finally be here).

Good to finally have you here! What kept you so long?

bazou

This is a really interesting topic to me. I went to see a Shamanic Healer a few months ago and that opened up a whole new world for me. It was a beautiful experience and I've now learned to journey on my own. I don't yet do it often, but when I do, it grounds me (ironically enough), it brings me peace, and it's also very cathartic. I usually come out the other way crying, but relieved. Like a big chunk of yucky that was sitting on my soul has been lifted.

Anyway, I want to follow this topic. Hi Calex! Wecome. Nice to meet you :)

Candid

I've just asked a friend-who-knows to recommend a shaman. It sounds wonderful!

bazou

Quote from: Candid on April 14, 2017, 01:41:00 PM
I've just asked a friend-who-knows to recommend a shaman. It sounds wonderful!

It was. I want to share my experience, perhaps I'll start another thread later today , I don't want to hijack this one :D

Boatsetsailrose

Hi Calex , thank u for your post , a very interesting subject
I too follow a spiritual way of living through the 12 steps and spiritual lift has always been important to me since being a child ...
The strength I get and have got from doing different workshops, camps, visiting places , healers and 12 step meetings all give me such courage and strength to then develop my own practices and wisdom ...

Bazou it would be interesting to hear about your journeying
I too have had many experiences relating to North American spirituality especially

bazou

Quote from: Boatsetsailrose on May 01, 2017, 08:43:04 AM
Bazou it would be interesting to hear about your journeying
I too have had many experiences relating to North American spirituality especially

Hi Boatsetsailrose! I would love to share. I will find some time one evening this week to write about it! :)

Boatsetsailrose