Dissociation (Brain Fog)

Started by Ladybug, November 30, 2014, 09:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladybug

Happy Sunday fellow Stormers! I am fairly new to the OOTS and suffer from CPTSD. What I feel is my biggest, most bothersome symptom is brain fog, which I think is dissociation. I am ALWAYS in a fog. I hate it. I am only just beginning to tackle CPTSD, and I started by getting Pete Walker's book, CPTSD From Surviving to Thriving. It is helping; opening my eyes to new things. I read on here about EF's but didn't think I had them, but after reading about them - yes, yes I do. It makes sense as to why I'm so "sensitive" - I am triggered into an EF. I also realized (by reading Pete's book and through OOTS) that in addition to BPD, my mother is also NPD. She repeatedly threatened to kill herself and parentified me.

I feel that it is important to tackle the dissociation to continue with the recovery process - right now I am so numbed out and spacey. I am going to purchase the book Trauma Related Dissociation by Suzette Boon, and hope that it will help. Pete mention's it in his book. I was wondering if anyone else suffers/suffered from 24/7 dissociation like me, and any tips you may have, etc. Also, have any of you read Suzette's book and did it help you? I didn't see it listed on the book discussion section. I will read it and write about it there if I find it helpful. Thanks all.

schrödinger's cat

Hi Ladybug,

yes, me too. I've begun to wonder if a part of it (in my case at least) is a physical reaction to all the stress hormones. Things that usually proved helpful were exercize (which helps dissipate stress hormones) and drinking enough water (dito). I have to watch my diet - white carbs and artificial ingredients make things foggier, and meat and vegetables make things better. I've also profited from avoiding any food that contains histamine liberators (histamine is another stress hormone). That might be just me having a food intolerance though, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. But anyway, like I said, all those things (exercise + water + nutrition) are ways that affect my body's stress response. So maybe the brainfog itself could be (at least in part) a physical thing?

Another thing I found helpful is rather silly. My breathing has long been too shallow, and then when I get even more anxious and worried, my breathing gets even more shallow... so sometimes I probably ended up not really getting all that much air. Trying out some very basic form of breathing meditation has helped me be more conscious of my breath. Funny how you always take oxygen for granted until you miss it.

But all these things aren't THE cure that fixes things at once and completely. They do make a difference though. I guess the rest of it consists in de-Freeze-responsing myself. I've long wondered if a part of the answer could lie in fostering my Fight response, especially when it comes to thinking about what caused my CPTSD. Maybe being properly angry and indignant in a healthy way could help keep the fog from my door. Not sure yet. What I do know is that anger has always had the power of clearing the brainfog at once and completely. Not for good, sadly enough, but still.

marycontrary

I feel for both of you. I have to live a really strict life for any chance of me of breaking the fog and staying grounded. A number of dietary adjustments, living adjustment, low ambient stress, simple spartan living even for standards in a "developing nation". KISS lifestyle.Monk like. Lots of quiet time.

Really following the steps of EFT tapping seem to really be making a difference.

voicelessagony2

I don't know if this is the same thing you are having, but I have noticed this fog happening when I forget to eat all day... I don't know how much is physiological or psychological, or both, but it happens suddenly and I'm stuck with it until the next day. It's horrible. I'm emotionally super sensitive and my logical mind is completely off-line and unavailable. I feel completely exposed and vulnerable to attack.

A good night's sleep is the only thing that makes me feel better. OH yea after eating, of course!!

flookadelic

My wife has noted that although I paint and craft in intricate detail, and that I am very hyper vigilant around people, anything else exists in a fluffy cloud. She says its almost as if I save all my awareness around people and leave none for my general surroundings. But brain fog...oh can I relate to that one. I try and read, communicate but dietary factors are new to me and I will be looking into this. Thank you so much for the heads up in this direction!

Brandy

Yes, I have this at times, and it can last for months. Still have it right now, but it's improved a lot since I've been taking wellbutrin. It's frustrating, and I'm endlessly surprised by how minor the effect is on actually doing things. I do the things, and I feel like I don't know what I'm doing, but then I get positive feedback. So all right. I guess I did the things correctly. Somehow.

Kizzie

Hey VA - forgetting to eat all day can play absolute havoc with your blood sugar, especially for those of us whose bodies have been inundated with stress  (like Cat I think our brain-body chemistry changes as a result of all the ongoing trauma). I get foggy and have that same emotional response (super sensitive) you mentioned when I don't eat for a long period. 

Ladybug - have you read through the books you mentioned yet?  I'd be interested in hearing what you found out about 24/7 dissociation.

flookadelic

Yogic breathing can really help. Very few of us use all of our lungs capacity, so there is always stale air at the bottom of the lungs - according to a yoga teacher I know, but it seems to make sense. A few minutes a day doing yogic breathing helps oxygenate the system and clears the head somewhat. Forgot to mention that which seems appropriate on a thread about brain fog.