Healthy Assertiveness (at least in dream land)

Started by Cascade, April 14, 2024, 03:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade

Hi Group,
I'd like to share last night's success with healthy assertiveness, even though it only occurred in a dream...

I am at a new job in a furniture store.  There is an open office area with tables and computers and about 6-8 other employees.  It's my first day.  I don't know my job title or responsibilities.  The boss's supervisor hired me, connected through another employee, for whom I express high praise to the supervisor.  She receives it well and I hope it helps the employee advance.

-- TW: Sexual abuse --
The boss takes me into a dark room, fondles me, rubs his hands all over my body, using his strength to restrain me.
-- End TW --

The boss gives me a small key and tells me to be in The Tower at a certain time.  The Tower is a separate, tall structure about 50 yards (meters) away from the store, like a medieval jail.  The next day, the boss looks panic-stricken when the supervisor asks for the key.  Before the mystery of the missing key gets too deep, I give my key to her.  I glance at the boss; he is doing all he can to contain his fury.  The supervisor reads absolutely nothing into the fact that I have the key, oblivious to the boss's reaction, and leaves.  The retaliation begins, in the open room with everyone else.

He starts berating me for not doing my job.  I stand up from chair to face him, simply listening.  I observe the room... everyone is watching.  I say, "Someone start recording this."  A few people do.  I also reach down for my phone and start recording.  He becomes even more furious and storms out, theatrically citing my incompetence for the cameras and saying he is going to discuss my employment with the supervisor.  He believes his case is documented.  Everyone goes back to work.  I step away for a break.

Later at my desk there is an envelope.  I open it and begin reading the termination letter it contains, without getting to the details or taking them in.  The boss is sitting across the room with a look so smug I want to slap it off his face.

I calmly begin defying his firing of me.  People start recording again.  I point out how much we are needed, adding that when I was hired, even the supervisor agreed the business could go much further with a fully staffed office.  They can't afford to let people go, despite the paltry pay compared to what salespeople make.  The boss starts yelling.  I remain calm, making reasonable points.

The supervisor comes in to see what's happening.  The boss calms down, believing he has backup, and refers to some non-sensical clause in the letter, like I was expected to do something no one told me about.  The supervisor calls him out of the room to her office and tells the rest of us to take our lunch.

We begin talking tentatively amongst ourselves, and I realize they are all on my side.  It turns into a celebration.  We order pizza and have a lot of laughs, somehow knowing that the boss won't be back.  We're free!

I was completely shocked by my healthy assertiveness when I woke and the memory of this dream hit me.  I wasn't anxious or fearful at all in the dream.  And I still don't know how I did what I did.

I DO believe that the other employees probably represented all of you who have been so supportive of me lately.  Pizza party anyone?   ;D
   -Cascade

Chart

I love pizza! 🍕 Wow, incredible detail in your dream. Seems your subconscious is doing some good work!

Kizzie

That is awesome Cascade  :thumbup: for the healthy assertiveness! I wish it always worked out as well in real life.  :yes:

Cascade

Chart, thanks for the positive reinforcement!  And yes, Kizzie, it will definitely be a while before I feel confident enough to try healthy assertiveness in waking life.

Your comments and listening are truly appreciated.  I think I'll bring the celebration into waking life tonight with pizza for dinner!  🍕🍕🍕 
:cake: :party:
   -Cascade

Kizzie