Obligatory Introduction post.

Started by IG7461, April 10, 2016, 11:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IG7461

Hello. I'm not particularly sure what to say. So I'll just give a small blurb of how/why I'm here.

I've recently been diagnosed with C-PTSD as my Psychologist puts it informally. Technically it's 'Other Specified Trauma and Stressor-Related Disorder' as there's no actual proper diagnosis for C-PTSD. It's been a long struggle; something that's taken years to even get any sort of psychologist, psychiatrist or doctor to even consider. I've spent a lot of time being told that I'm only depressed or have some sort of anxiety disorder. From one medication to another. It's been an... interesting ride, one could say. If I'm to be completely honest here: As much as this 'makes sense', and the symptoms and all that line up and such, I was unhappy with this diagnosis. It seems a lot more daunting all of a sudden than just depression or anxiety.

But there's also a sense of relief that I may be able to get somewhere; to regain some semblance of control in my life. Some direction rather than grasping at straws.

I'm thankful to know that there is a community, and it's nice to meet you all.

Dutch Uncle

Hi IG7461  :wave:

Welcome to Out of the Storm.
I can relate to being unhappy with my self-identification of being affected by cPTSD. I don't have a formal diagnosis, but I experience so much of the symptoms that it hurts. Daunting is a word I can identify with.  :hug:

Quote from: IG7461 on April 10, 2016, 11:40:13 PM
But there's also a sense of relief that I may be able to get somewhere; to regain some semblance of control in my life. Some direction rather than grasping at straws.
I'm glad you see a silver lining to it all, and one thing is sure: cPTSD is something that can be addressed and for a large part overcome. There are some success-stories around on the board. It's a process though, and we like to say: it takes baby-steps to recover.
I hope and wish this board and community will be of aid as you and us walk these steps.

In the cPTSD Glossary you may find a lot that may resonate with your experiences. A few highlights to start your journey with:
On cPTSD
On Boundaries
One that has been of great value to me personally is: Learned Helplessness

Last but not least I want to point out our Guidelines for All Members and Guests to you, which are here to ensure this a safe environment for you and it will give you an idea of the community we create with each other.

Quote from: IG7461 on April 10, 2016, 11:40:13 PM
I'm thankful to know that there is a community, and it's nice to meet you all.
Likewise, and I'm glad you have found us.

:hug:
Dutch Uncle.

IG7461

Quote from: To-Be-Continued on April 11, 2016, 12:52:09 AM
Hiya IG7461,  :wave:

Welcome aboard and thank you for coming to say hello and introduce yourself.

It's a bit quiet here at the moment, but hopefully more people will come along and say hi.

Lovely to meet you.
:)

Thank you! I'm glad that despite the main topic of this forum that people are still quite friendly.

Quote from: Dutch Uncle on April 11, 2016, 06:36:19 AM
Hi IG7461  :wave:

Welcome to Out of the Storm.
I can relate to being unhappy with my self-identification of being affected by cPTSD. I don't have a formal diagnosis, but I experience so much of the symptoms that it hurts. Daunting is a word I can identify with.  :hug:

I'm glad you see a silver lining to it all, and one thing is sure: cPTSD is something that can be addressed and for a large part overcome. There are some success-stories around on the board. It's a process though, and we like to say: it takes baby-steps to recover.
I hope and wish this board and community will be of aid as you and us walk these steps.

In the cPTSD Glossary you may find a lot that may resonate with your experiences. A few highlights to start your journey with:
On cPTSD
On Boundaries
One that has been of great value to me personally is: Learned Helplessness

Last but not least I want to point out our Guidelines for All Members and Guests to you, which are here to ensure this a safe environment for you and it will give you an idea of the community we create with each other.

Likewise, and I'm glad you have found us.

:hug:
Dutch Uncle.

I looked over those rules when I first joined; but I'll take a quick glance at them again to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

I'll also take a peek at those things you linked, thank you!

Annalee

Hello, new member today and I'm totally lost in the site, iv read the guidelines but I cant find the Obligatory intro or how to put up a post, I apologise for jumping on this one but I cant find anyone to talk to. Help :)

Dutch Uncle

Hi Annalee  :wave: . To-Be-Continued has it right.  :yeahthat:

An introduction post is not that obligatory, you can start posting anywhere if you like. And with To-Be-Continued's help you'll be able to start a new topic anywhere. Replying to a topic you already got figured out.  ;D

Welcome and  :hug:
Dutch Uncle.