Hello! Recently diagnosed and ready to share

Started by positivelysomewhere, March 20, 2016, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

positivelysomewhere

Hi everyone.

First off, positivelysomewhere is a pretty long name so maybe I'll just call myself Poss - like possum, which works, as I'm Australian!

It feels good to have found this board. I came across it just yesterday but I'm already relieved to be among people who can understand.

I haven't received an "official" CPTSD diagnosis, but, in her goodbye email to me, my previous psychotherapist recommended that I read Pete Walker's CPTSD book. She said not all of it would apply to me, but it would explain a lot. I haven't properly delved into the book yet but I have read a bit about CPTSD and my symptoms seem to fit. It makes sense.

My trauma was self-inflicted, which might be unusual. I have struggled with anxiety and a deep sense of unworthiness for as long as I can remember. Through therapy, I think I've worked out why -- various family issues. Eight years ago, when I was 22, I smoked some pot one night and had an episode of intrusive distressing sexual thoughts that triggered full-blown OCD, thus changing the course of my life. I developed binge-eating disorder to cope, and I still struggle with overeating.

So that's my story in a nutshell. I am going to nose around the boards and also start a recovery journal. I need to let it all out!

Thank you so much for having me. I look forward to getting to know you all on the road to recovery.

Poss

Dutch Uncle

Hi Poss  :wave:

Welcome to Out of the Storm. At OOTS, we welcome people who are dealing with cPTSD through a variety of life's events that befell us. Like you, I don't have an official diagnosis either, neither have many other members. So you're in good company.  ;)
Pete Walker's book as a great asset to many of us here. There are some excerpts of the book on his site http://www.pete-walker.com .
In the cPTSD Glossary you may find a lot that may resonate with your experiences. A few highlights to start your journey with:
On cPTSD
On Boundaries
One that has been of great value to me personally is: Learned Helplessness

Journalling has been a great asset in my recovery, and you may already have spotted we have a section dedicated to recovery journals here: http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?board=61.0 . Let it all out indeed!

Welcome again, I hope and wish this place and community will give you comfort and be of aid on your journey through cPTSD. Our Guidelines for All Members and Guests are here to ensure this a safe environment for you and it will give you an idea of the community we create with each other.

:hug:
Dutch Uncle.

positivelysomewhere

Thank you both so much.
TOC, welcome also :) Here's to learning, growing and healing.
Dutch Uncle, thank you so much for that information. I'm getting stuck into the reading now, and I'm just about to start a recovery journal. Here we go.