Compulsive Lying Symptom?

Started by kingkut, November 16, 2016, 12:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingkut

Is lying about achievements or lying to fit in , like saying you did or were into something that another was in order to fit in a symptom? Scare I'm just nuts. Not worded very well , but I haven't slept much..

Three Roses

Being in the beginning phase of healing & therapy, I am not sure why I've resorted to lying in the past, but it was always when I felt my safety was in jeopardy. Granted, it didn't take much to make me feel threatened! ;)

SaraDurga

I lied a lot from a young age. Looking back with what I know now, it was because I was so desperately trying to avoid getting shamed and ridiculed and in trouble more. I didn't know when it was and wasn't necessary and I got caught in them so much and then just got shamed even more with an added layer that I was a dishonest person.

So I suppose, it is a symptom. If I'd felt that I was supported and accepted and loved, I wouldn't have lied.

You're not alone.

Dee

I think a lot of people do that to some extent.  Maybe not out right lying, but perhaps embellishing to make themselves appear better to others.  I think those of us with CPTSD feel so different and want to feel normal that we do what it takes to feel accepted.  Lying doesn't make a person bad.

I have lied, lied, lied.  I have done it mostly to cover up abuse, eating disorder, feelings.  I have been working very hard in therapy to not lie.  Now, if my therapist asks something I don't want to admit, I will.  I want to lie to my dietitian all the time, but I don't.  Lying is a product of my past and I feel working on this is an accomplishment.  Lying is what I did as a child to survive, my therapist validated that.   I am no longer a child and it no longer serves a purpose.