Regina Brett-Feeling Your Yes and No

Started by BeHea1thy, April 16, 2015, 08:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeHea1thy

From the book Be the Miracle: 50 Lessons for Making the Impossible Possible

Lesson 22: Consult your own soul. Deep inside you already know the answers you need.
Excerpt: (pages 117-118)

Judi Bar, a yoga therapist from the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Center and HeartLight Yoga, taught me how to listen to myself to discern what I should say yes to and no to in life. My radar was messed up. I needed clarity. I thought everything that came on my radar screen was mine to fix. I was saying yes to everything.

Judi had me sit in stillness for a few minutes. Erase every thought and just breathe, she suggested. Then she said, "Ask your body, What does a yes feel like? Let your body tell you what a yes feels like to you." So I sat still and asked. Nothing happened at first. Then I relaxed into the question and felt my face get warm until it felt like I was sitting in a sunbeam that warmed me all the way to my heart. I could feel a smile grow on my face and my chest expand wide with every breath as if my heart was opening up to the sun like a flower. "Okay, that's a pretty good yes," she said.

Then she had me relax again and breathe deeply for a few minutes. "Now, ask your body, What does a no feel like?" So, I asked. Nothing happened. It was blank. Then feelings of doubt and anxiety took over. I sat waiting to hear something loud and certain for no. Instead, I felt a cloud of confusion settle over me and a trail wind of fear. Then my mind kicked up the chatter, that inner noise that always feels as irritating as static on the radio.

She asked me to describe my no. I didn't really feel one, I told her. "Tell me what you experienced," she said. I described the doubt, anxiety, noise, fear and static.

"That is your no," she said. "When you experience that, you need to say no."

When I consult my soul, it says yes loud and clear. Yes is a fireworks display, or at least a sparkler of joy. And no? When my mind gets muddy or noisy and the clouds move in, that's my no.

When you learn to listen to yourself, it's amazing what you'll hear. You really do have the answers inside. Listen and you'll discover when to say yes and, even better, when to say no.

This is a nice collection of her life lessons. http://www.cleveland.com/brett/blog/index.ssf/2006/05/regina_bretts_45_life_lessons.html Her writing makes my heart open up, hope it does the same for you.

Kubali

To BeHealthy.

I truly believe that we DO know everything. There is a place where everything is known. And Yes we get to feel it in our deepest self.

Just that we got scrambled and are unable to decipher our way through the constant chatter.

I have a favourite maxim. "The Truth comes from a place of Peace"

Heartsease.

Kubali

Kizzie

When you learn to listen to yourself, it's amazing what you'll hear. You really do have the answers inside. Listen and you'll discover when to say yes and, even better, when to say no.

:thumbup:  It really is that simple and that difficult.

M

It's the end of a busy month.  I have been around people every day.  There has been no chance for the quiet isolation and down time that I need for recovery.  Today, coming onto this post "Feeling Yes and No", is very important.  I feel shaky (as described in the book, Waking the Tiger) and withdrawn, discovering another significant piece of the puzzle for healthy living.  Do I know what "yes" and "no" feel like? Whoops! Missed that lesson.  There is a disconnect between the mind and the body.  My mind gives one answer and my body another. If my mind always controls, no wonder I feel pain in my body.
I feel embarrassed about not communicating with myself.  Time to insert the little head with the spinning things  :stars: Oh, my! What a visual!   That must be "no."  This one must be "yes." :yes:  Now...into isolation mode to study what they feel like in my body.  Thank you.