How do you begin therapy?

Started by Nevish, May 18, 2017, 11:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevish

I have never understad,

Do I have to talk about trauma?

My psychotherapist is a talk therapist, the only I can get. He is not bad but I don't see any improvment about CPTSD...

Blackbird

You don't have to talk about the traumatic incidents all the time, you can talk about the consequences of it, or about anything you like, even stay silent if you don't feel like talking.

Do you have a good relationship with your therapist?

Blueberry

Or it can be good to work on resilience because if you build on that it really helps for a time in the future where you might be able to find some form of trauma therapy. Building on resilience can help with day-to-day life too.

Nevish

Quote from: Blueberry on May 18, 2017, 12:31:35 PM
Or it can be good to work on resilience because if you build on that it really helps for a time in the future where you might be able to find some form of trauma therapy. Building on resilience can help with day-to-day life too.

How it is that done?

Quote from: Blackbird on May 18, 2017, 11:19:50 AM
You don't have to talk about the traumatic incidents all the time, you can talk about the consequences of it, or about anything you like, even stay silent if you don't feel like talking.

Do you have a good relationship with your therapist?

I don't know if it is good or bad, I just don't like talking to him about my things. But I don't like to talk with anyone about them  :stars:

Hazy111

Hi Nevish,

You have to put faith in your therapist and be open about how you feel. It sounds like you like you cant trust them yet . This is very common at the begining of therapy. Its called the "testing phase". It can last months.

If youve been really hurt, its hard to trust people again, as you think they may hurt you again.

It might take some time, but i would pursue it. Just talk about anything thats on your mind. A good therapist will listen to what you say and gently probe deeper when appropriate.

Dont be afraid, its the one place in life  you can be truly honest. Theres no come back, no retribution. Youre in a safe place.

Think about why you cant speak about these things. Is it guilt ? shame? Trust? Fear? Tell them why you cant open up. Why you feel so uncomfortable?

Best of luck Hazy

sanmagic7

hey, nevish,

if you're having difficulty talking to your t about anything, that may be something to talk to him about so that together the two of you can explore the reasons for it.   your t is supposed to be your guide to get you from where you are to where you want to be.   if you can't speak of where you are, he won't know how to begin to guide you through the maze.  in such a case, it's conceivable that you're not making much progress in taming the c-ptsd beast. 

i hope you can find some resolution with him about being stuck or why it is it's hard for you to move forward.    best to you with this.  i hope he can help you understand what's going on so that you can get rid of what's blocking your progress.    big hug!

Nevish

Quote from: sanmagic7 on May 19, 2017, 05:24:45 AM
hey, nevish,

if you're having difficulty talking to your t about anything, that may be something to talk to him about so that together the two of you can explore the reasons for it.   your t is supposed to be your guide to get you from where you are to where you want to be.   if you can't speak of where you are, he won't know how to begin to guide you through the maze.  in such a case, it's conceivable that you're not making much progress in taming the c-ptsd beast. 

i hope you can find some resolution with him about being stuck or why it is it's hard for you to move forward.    best to you with this.  i hope he can help you understand what's going on so that you can get rid of what's blocking your progress.    big hug!
I have tried, but he doesn't guide me on anything, he just starts with his monologue.

I am going to ask to talk with the psychologist that works in the same center.

Quote from: Hazy111 on May 18, 2017, 11:26:48 PM
Hi Nevish,

You have to put faith in your therapist and be open about how you feel. It sounds like you like you cant trust them yet . This is very common at the begining of therapy. Its called the "testing phase". It can last months.

If youve been really hurt, its hard to trust people again, as you think they may hurt you again.

It might take some time, but i would pursue it. Just talk about anything thats on your mind. A good therapist will listen to what you say and gently probe deeper when appropriate.

Dont be afraid, its the one place in life  you can be truly honest. Theres no come back, no retribution. Youre in a safe place.

Think about why you cant speak about these things. Is it guilt ? shame? Trust? Fear? Tell them why you cant open up. Why you feel so uncomfortable?

Best of luck Hazy

He talks more than me, I don't have space to say anything and it has been 18 months. I am going to ask again to see someone else.

Blackbird

I didn't see your answer before, sorry.

It's good to find someone else if you don't click. And sometimes even good therapists fail, and other times we're just not ready for therapy (that can happen too).

sanmagic7

sounds like a good decision, to see someone else.  it doesn't sound like you're getting your needs met or are being heard, both very important components in a therapeutic relationship.  i hope you find a better fit with the next one.    best to you with this, and a big hug as well.

Nevish

Thank you, I am going to give him a last try since I have been with him for 18 months and it wasn't all bad,