difference: retraumatisation and EF?

Started by Blueberry, January 05, 2018, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

When I say to my T that I think I've been retraumatised, as I think I was in the aftermath of both Horrendous FOO Events, he intimates that it's possibly not retraumatisation. So, if it wasn't really, then maybe it was an EF??

Does anybody know of a scientific explanation of retraumatisation? Even just a good link?

I could ask T, but I don't have many appointments left and I think this coming one is going to be full up with other stuff. So interested to know what others think or may have read.

BlancaLap

I believe in retraumatization, I have read about it in books. But I believe it may be both

Blueberry

Found something here: https://ruralhealth.und.edu/dakota-conference/handouts/2015/session-4-triggering-retraumatization-and-revictimization.pdf
EF isn't mentioned. But what's going on for me in FOO could be retraumatization or revictimization.

It's taken me till now to remember that: contact with your abusers isn't recommended when you're in trauma T. For a long time, I thought FOO had realised a lot and had changed, but Horrendous Event no. 2 showed me that wasn't the case. It's time I believed myself, trusted myself and stated unequivocally that I don't want contact other than email with adult FOO members.

Three Roses

QuoteIt's time I believed myself, trusted myself and stated unequivocally that I don't want contact other than email with adult FOO members.
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Behind you all the way!

Kat

Good for you, Blueberry!  I was going to weigh in on your original question about retraumatization vs. an EF, but it doesn't seem as important now.  I think what you hit upon is what is most important.  I'm so glad you're able to see the damage that your FOO can inflict and that you're strong enough to say "Enough!" 

Blueberry

Quote from: Kat on January 06, 2018, 03:40:38 AM
I'm so glad you're able to see the damage that your FOO can inflict 

well, another round of the damage, another aspect of it. I'm seeing a deeper level of the dysfunction.

that you're strong enough to say "Enough!"

Not quite, but getting there.

I was going to weigh in on your original question about retraumatization vs. an EF. 

I'd still be interested.