Panic Attacks

Started by Dee, July 12, 2017, 04:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

I seem to be having a lot more panic attacks lately.  I wonder if it is because I have stopped turning to unhealthy coping and have been trying to ride things out?  Before when I would start to panic I would self harm, drink, or equally destructive things.  It wasn't good, but it was effective.  I do try other things like breathing, essential oils, listen to imagery.  That does help, but it seems to take longer.  Still none of that explains why there are more.

Three Roses

I noticed this in myself, too. It seemed like I was having more panic attacks but when I stopped to think about it, it's not that there were more but that my awareness had changed. Where before I was kind of constantly in a numbed-out, dissociated state, I became aware of what I was feeling when I was feeling it.

My husband stopped drinking a few years ago and because it's never here, I don't drink as much. I see now how drinking kept me from awareness of how I was feeling.

I have also used TV, movies, games, computer etc (and in the distant past, drugs) to numb myself. Anything to keep from feeling!

Elphanigh

I can relate to both of what you said. I am going through that currently, too. It seems there are more since I stopped the unhealthy things. I drink a lot less, and only when I am in a good mode for social purposed really. I avoid it now if I know it could even slightly be for the wrong reasons.  It does feel like there are more, and Dee like you it takes longer to get past them with the newer, healthier coping mechanisms

sigiriuk

Hi All
Panic attacks can sometimes be triggered by anything that reminds us of separation anxiety (during childhood trauma). Which is a rather complicated way of saying these are emotional flashbacks.
This is how we felt when we were little.
The panic attacks are from long ago, and poke their heads out, like annoying memories.
I get them when I feel that I am about to be humiliated.
Slim

Dee

It all makes sense.  No more numbing....

Sometimes, it is just nice to know it isn't just me.

Three Roses

Another thing I'd like to say about this is that when we numb ourselves, we are not doing anything to help us avoid the next EF.

But when we take the time to look at things in a new, healthier way, we are re educating ourselves - and in my opinion, helping to avoid the next EF or at least reduce its severity.

sanmagic7

hey,

may i just add that it takes practice and time for these healthier coping mechanisms to become part of our routine.  until they do, because they are so different from what we're used to, they may seem scary and panic-inducing on some level. 

i agree that they may be noticed more without the unhealthy coping skills.  more reality-based living with fewer distractions.   i believe it's part of a transition period that will eventually get you to a place where you've wanted to go.  all in all, i think it's a sign that you're on the right track.   just my opinion.  hugs all around.

Dee

Thank you for the support, it means a lot.  I have been working really, really hard at doing the right thing.  I hope it does get easier as it becomes more routine.

sanmagic7

yes you have, dee, and you deserve to see the rewards of your hard work.  keep at it, ok?  we'll stick by you, i hope you know that.   love and hugs coming your way. 

clarity

I heard a beautiful analogy about healing recently, which was that the lotus flower grows up through the mud.... and so we have to push through our own inner 'mud - the yukky emotions and fear etc.... to become who we are meant to be.

It takes strength and commitment to do this.... not to mention courage.

:hug: Dee for your progress, even when it does not feel like it....I think it is exactly that.

Eyessoblue

Dee, panic attacks are hideous as you know! But look how far you have come and what you have achieved in your road to recovery, you have done so well, I think sometimes your body needs time to adjust to all the good that you are doing for yourself where it's normally used to all the crap and bad stuff suddenly you are doing better things for yourself and your body is saying what's going on here and turns it into panic, as long as you can ride the panic attacks out and know they aren't going to hurt you (easier said then done I know)!you will get through it.

Dee

All, I took a last minute trip and I didn't have a chance to post before I left.  I only had one panic attack in the last week.  I think I needed the trip badly.  I hope this is a sign it is getting better.

sanmagic7

hope so, too.  love and hugs, dee.