Loud noises/noisy areas

Started by Stout_and_Vigil, August 19, 2016, 04:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout_and_Vigil

So I can't deal with loud busy places, and I miss out on a lot because of it, and when I do go to some events I'm miserable the whole time. When I'm around people being loud it sometimes triggers some memories of times where people were yelling at me, and we'll just keep those details sparse.

Does anyone have any suggestion on coping mechanisms around large crowds and such? I'd love to hear some feedback.

Dutch Uncle

For large crowds/events it might be worthwhile to wear earplugs.

I do not experience the discomfort of loud noises as you do, so I cannot give you any coping mechanisms. The only time I am bothered by loud noise is when I go to concerts, where at times the volume is just too much to bear. So I usually bring two sets of earplugs with me. I find I enjoy the music more (I actually hear a more 'full' set of notes in the music, so the quality of the sound actually goes UP wearing my earplugs) and the second set is to give away to somebody. I have found that quite often, after a while, somebody will ask me for a set. At first they glance at me awkwardly with my earplugs in, but a while into the concert the loudness is too much for them too.  ;)

I often feel a bit ashamed wearing them, but I've gone past that now: I'm not attending the concert to impress the people in the crowd, I'm there to enjoy the music. And since the plugs enhance my music experience, and thus overall enjoyment of the event, I know that for me I have my priorities straight. Why should I be ashamed for doing what helps me to enjoy myself better?
It's a mental effort I still have to make at times, but when I remind myself why I wear the plugs, it's quite easy to shrug the shame off.

I hope this helped a bit.
:hug:

sanmagic7

actually, stout and vigil, i'm with you.  i'm now limited to where i can go, or how long i can stay, but it's not necessarily the loud noise, per se, but just that all the activity is too much stimulation.  i was entertaining the idea of attending a pro tennis match, but when i thought about it, the excitement, the emotion of it would simply overwhelm me, and i'd be spending more time in the hotel, relishing the peace and quiet, than i could take in the stands.  these things didn't bother me when i was younger, only in the past 15 yrs. or so.  even if the grocery store is crowded, it can be discomforting.

so, i'm sorry that i don't have any constructive input for you.  but, you are not alone.  i totally get it.

Dee

I have not found a way to cope with this either.  I can't stand shopping, to include grocery shopping.  I find that I am very comfortable in nature.  The only noises there are of the wind and birds.  I also think it has something to do with being less confined. 

I always find the slowest times at stores, especially grocery stores.  Then I work out a plan so I am in and out as fast as possible.  I go so far as to make sure bar codes are visible when I check out so I can get through the checkout faster.  I suppose this is how I cope, plan my visit.  I have even called stores to ask when their slow hours are.  Doing this relieves my anxiety.

I've decided that this is okay.  So I don't like crowds or loud noises, who cares.  I plan the things I have to do in advance and find activities that are peaceful for me.  So I won't go to concerts or tennis matches, but the view is much better on my couch anyway. 

Sienna

Stout and Vigil,
I relate to this.
I don't know how to fix it, or ease it.

I still have the fears that i have had as a child regarding loud noises.
As a child, and now, i was always scared of loud noises, and i don't know why.
I was scared of big lorries, could not walk past them. Thought and stil think, even if i can walk past them, that they will not care about me being there, and they will run me over.
The look mean and menacing to me.
If i walk past a lorry that has its engine on and its really loud, its scary. Its as though it will suddenly attack me or squash me on the pavement.
I generally have a feeling that all cars are out to get me, but I'm starting to think, that i just hate any vulnerable feelings i have with in myself, and I'm annoyed *at the cars*, for *making me feel this way*-
even though i know that logically, they are not doing it on purpose- they are just there, just as i am, walking by, going about my day.

I was always afraid of generators. My dad knew, and we used to play this game. I cant go into that.
In Design technology at school, i was nervous around the loud machines (for woodwork).
My dad thought, that it was because of my visual impairment and i couldn't see where the noises were comming from, but even if i can see, such as a lorry parked at the side of the road, its still scary.
I dont trust the drivers to respect that I'm going past.
As a little girl, the lady in the corner shop walked me home, because i couldn't walk down the pavement back to the house because a bin lorry was parked there.
I don't think my mum asked me about this fear when i got back with the shop lady to the house.

I cant even describe what the feeling is, when there is as loud noise.
Adrenaline...maybe feeling that the loud thing is going to get me.
Maybe its a manifestation of the fear i felt for my mother, and how big and loud she was, how she could just squash me and not care about my feelings, i might have put sub consciously onto other things in the world, to avoid feeling it about her in my conscious mind.

I hate group conversations too where it is loud.
it reminds me of being at school with people and how afraid i was to speak.
I can't hear what is going on, and i cant project my voice like other people...only when I'm drunk!...so i just feel irritated as i feel i cant join in.

I would be interested too, to hear if anyone can relate to this or if anyone has any insight on why this is so...

Sienna

ps. just a though.
Sounds hilarious when i write about this.
There used to be this person who played bag pipes in town when i was little.
When shopping with my mum, i would hide behind underneath the clothes hanging up in the shop.
Maybe i was just playing. Maybe i was hiding from her.
But there is an association between the bag pipe dude and me hiding.
My dad might have asked me when he got home from work, if i hid from the bag pipe man again in the clothes.
its very faint so i don't know if i should trust that half memory of him saying that.
I know i was scared of the loud noise from the bag pipes though.
And its like, know one questioned me having this fear, if they even noticed.

i was scared walking past a generator in the park- going past it with my dad.
maybe i thought he wouldnt protect me, because he never protected me from mum, who was big and scary to me.

Dad said that (our local walking day), it gives you a buzz walking past the bag pipe people, its so loud. I wonder if he really has too much adrenalin though like me, and that most people don't feel that when they walk by loud music?

To get the bus at the moment, i walk past the building site. Loud lorries and machines. I walk past it as quickly as i can, as i fear that a lorry will suddenly come out of the gate  as I'm walking by, and that diggers could come over the wall and scoop me up.
Ok...im done now.

ChaosQueen

Hi Stout and Vigil,
:band: :band:
:aaauuugh:
I am a "highly sensitive person", or have a "sensory processing disorder", or whatever you want to call it, since birth. So loud noises cause me physical pain. It doesn't matter whether it's bird song or a truck. I always have earplugs with me. They have been fitted to my ears by a hearing aid shop.

I get sensory overload very quickly and it's not pretty. Large crowds cause visual and auditory overstimulation for me. Plus, I cannot help feeling everyone's emotions stronger than my own. In crowds, I get very irritable, have a whole-body stress reaction, and finally have a meltdown and start crying hysterically. People who know me are glad when I use earplugs.
But mostly I try to avoid crowds and noise, as much as I can. And bright lights and strong smells.
Of course, my life is kind of restricted. I can't travel, since the transition to another place overwhelms me and the movement of the vehicle or train causes sensory overload.

If you are only oversensitive to noise and crowds, it's easier to manage. I don't think there is any event worth going to when noise and crowds are involved. Or I try to manage with earplugs and don't stay too long.

Like you, when people yell or laugh loudly or just talk loudly near me, I go into a full emotional flashback on top of the pain in my ears. Sometimes I freak out and tell them to shut up. Even if it's people at a neighboring table in a restaurant.

I'm learning to leave a situation before I reach a full-blown meltdown. And somehow adjust my life. Before starting therapy, I would expose myself purposefully to loud noises and crowds as a form of causing myself pain.

theaquarist

I have the Highly Sensitive Individual diagnosis as well, and luckily it was from another HSI who completely understood and didn't judge at all.

Recognizing it ( and accepting it! ) has made such a huge difference in how I am able to manage my symptoms of cptsd. Be gentle to yourself.

I think being clear with company that you are going to wait outside of certain places, only go when they are quieter/ less crowded, or when you need a sensory break is what has made me much more capable. People like the clarity even if they don't empathize/sympathize. I've noticed over time that certain friends reach out to help me with solutions for areas like that.
I've had a friend or two who would go to the store with me to help me stay grounded, or would go to the grocery store for me if I was in a tight spot.

One thing that is harder about it is the company of animals. I am an avid animal lover since I was born (haha) but I find it very hard to be around barking dogs. It can really agitate me to hear whining, barking, pacing from a dog - worse if it's more than one. This could be a trauma thing though, I have had some negative living quarters where dogs were used as ... a way to manipulate my behavior.

Have you been noticing more clues about what makes you "overloaded" sensory wise? I would really like to hear from anybody who copes with this. It's been hard lately.

theaquarist

-- It's been harder lately with the dog noises. My heart beat races when I hear my GF's dog whine.

Also, what other options are there than earplugs if I am very concerned about being startled? I have quite the full-body reaction when I am startled / surprised by someone when I have headphones on. It's not worth it for me to block out all noise. Those flashbacks are too much.

writetolife

I imagine you've tried this, but just in case...have you tried bringing someone you're relatively comfortable with?  I have a hard time with loud or really busy places too (It's rather nice to know that I'm not the only one.), and if someone is with me, it tends my attention off of trying to monitor all of the sound and activity around me.  It also makes me feel like someone has my back a bit more.